Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Reef's 2nd dentist visit

On Tuesday, Reef and I had his 2nd visit to the dentist. If you recall, our first visit was NOT a success and involved much screaming, so I was a little nervous about this one. I decided to change dentists and spent a couple of days before "playing dentist" and reading a book about the dentist. That really helped prepare him, I think.
Here he is enjoying a video game while we waited.

The actual appointment went well. They put us in a private room with a movie in it. He was mesmerized by the movie while I talked to the hygenist. I was nervous when it came time to get in the big chair, but he handled it like a pro. He let the dentist look at all of his teeth, cooperated with 4 xrays, and even let them start the cleaning. Everthing came to a screeching halt when the hygenist accidentally pinched his chest while she was wiping off the scraping tool. Poor guy started screaming so loud! It turns out that he has 2 cavities (on his newest teeth!), so we're going to have to get those filled next month, so they decided to hold off on the rest of the cleaning until then.
They will do the fillings under sedation, so I don't think that appointment will be too bad. The blow to our wallet, however, will not be pretty! The dentist is going to put sealant on the rest of his molars so hopefully we can avoid anymore cavities in the baby teeth. I've also started being super vigilant about brushing twice a day with both boys, so that maybe we can avoid any cavities for Jonas.
I was so proud of how brave Reef did, so we had lunch and ice cream just the two of us! Don't worry, we brushed very well after!


1 comment:

Sara said...

Oh boy, I'm so scared of taking the kids to the dentist! Emily's done very well both times, but Titus will be a terror. He hates getting his teeth brushed in general and is not so friendly with strangers, so put the two together....Yikes! You've inspired me to be sure to brush theirs twice a day. Sure beats having cavities filled!