Monday, March 1, 2010

Pediatrician times 2

Yes, it's true, we made 2 visits to Dr. Gulde last week. I swear sometimes I think we live there. On Monday, I took Lachlan because he'd been coughing for a while. I listened to him over the weekend and thought I might have heard wheezes but dismissed it, thinking my auscultation skills were getting rusty. Well, the wheezing was confirmed at our appointment, so I guess I need to trust myself more. He also had another ear infection in the right ear. So, we left with instructions to do nebulizers 3-4 times a day and 10 days of antibiotics. Blah...Dr. Gulde was also nice enough to have a quick look at Jonas since he's constantly snotty and complained of ear pain, but he was all clear. Lachlan's off the nebs now and seems to be feeling much better. We'll follow up at the end of the week just to be sure.
On Thursday night, Reef woke us up at midnight with his usual croupy cough and stridor. He stayed very calm this time and we were able to get it under control with 20 minutes in a steamy bathroom. We tried to get him to spend the rest of the night in our room, but Mr. OCD had to be in his own bed, with Daddy by his side. Luckily, there were no relapses in the night. I called first thing Friday morning to get him an appointment. After going over our history, we decided on 3 days of steroids to prevent a relapse right now and a long-term course of Flovent to prevent more recurrences this season. I am sooo glad to have something to keep things under control! Reef is definitely feeling much better, too, but still recovering from that missed sleep. It takes him forever to catch up!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Flovent has become a very good friend in our house! I am glad to hear that the Dr was able to give you some thoughts on resolving the whole croup... I hate to wake up to that sound... it makes my heart jump every time and then I think, "oh yeah I know that sound." Love the name of your blog!

Kim said...

poor little guys! Hope they get feeling better and don't have any more problems.