Saturday, May 21, 2011

Reef's Camping Party

I've been avoiding my blog...mostly because I already did this whole post and published it and then it disappeared!  It's still on my facebook, though, so I don't know what the deal is...but I do want to document Reef's party, so I know I must type this whole thing again!

For Reef's party this year, we decided on a camping thing.  Since he doesn't have a lot of "close" friends right now, we invited Ethan and his dad, Josh, to camp out in the backyard with Troy, Reef, and Jonas.  Thankfully, Josh was willing to brave this adventure with Troy!
We kicked the night off with a dinner of hot dogs, chips, and veggies for both families.  After dinner, it was on to the cupcakes.  They're supposed to look like tents...Could you tell?
The first year he's really blown out the candles.
After dessert, we headed outside for some games and and playtime to (fingers crossed) wear them out.  This poor guy doesn't know that he's not invited to the sleep over!
The boys' first task was to rid our campground of any bugs or snakes they could find.  Apparently small bugs are way harder to find than the millions of Easter eggs from a few weeks before.
Here's Ethan capturing a centipede.
After all the bugs were found, Reef and Ethan had a meeting in the tree.  When did my kid turn into such a monkey?

Then they used their new water guns to spray targets.  Troy informed me that, next time, I might need to spend more than $1 on guns. 
After some batting practice (thanks Torres family!) and more squirting each other, it was time for the much anticipated "camp fire".  After the dads "taught" them how to build a good fire, it was time for marshmallow roasting.  I must admit, the whole fire thing made me very nervous!
The big boys enjoying their "snores", as Jonas called them.  Isaiah was in there too but needed more marshmallows.
After the smores, we said goodbye to Kristin and Isaiah.  The boys put on their PJ's, and we set them up with flashlights and a movie in their tents. Yes, we were really roughing it!  The idea was that they would go to sleep after the movie....then they asked for "spooky" books and enjoyed playing with their flashlights.  Troy and Josh headed out to bed about 10pm, and we think they fell asleep around 11.  Except for Jonas, who stayed awake all night and was a nightmare the next day!
I hoped they might sleep in, but they were up at 6:30!  Troy set them up with another movie, while the men showered and I made breakfast.  After breakfast, they enjoyed some lego time (thanks for the new ones, Ethan!), and then we all headed off to church.
It was an exhausting party but I know Reef loved it, so it was all worthwhile!  He's asking when the next camping trip is!

No comments: