Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Reflux AND Constipation?!?

Well, for having only been alive 4 weeks, Lachlan has had more than his share of visits to the doctor! I think we've been 5 times already! Last week, Dr. Gulde and I decided that Lach has reflux. He hasn't been spitting up a lot but does a lot of gagging, gurgling, back arching, and rarely some episodes of apnea. So, we started him on some prevacid.
I took him back to the doc Monday to follow up on the prevacid and make sure it wasn't causing weight loss. At the appointment, I also told the doctor about Lachlan's grunting and groaning and acting like he's in pain. After some discussion, we decided to do an xray of his abdomen, just to be sure...
Dr. Gulde finally called me back late Monday night and said the xray showed distention of the colon and moderate poop throughout. Basically, constipation, which is very rare in a breastfed baby. The radiologist wants to repeat the test in a week, just to make sure things resolve. Dr. Gulde seemed surprised by that, and I'm not really sure what the course of action will be if it's not resolved.
Tuesday and Wednesday seemed to be better days, but now we're back to the grunting and groaning. I sure hope we get some answers soon! I hate seeing my baby in pain!

No comments: