Monday, July 4, 2011

Poppy's 1st month

I can't believe it's already been a whole month!  It has been harder than I thought it would be, but we are finally adjusting to our new normal as a family of 6.  Last week, my "old ladies" as Theresa referred to them all went out of town together, so I was on my own for the week.  Luckily the boys like staying home since it takes a lot of effort to get out of the house these days.  We did conquer the zoo and grocery store on our own though.
Poppy is a good baby and hardly ever cries.  She is eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours during the day and every 3-4 hours at night.  Her "schedule" is still totally undpredictable though, so I never know when she'll be awake or asleep.  Some nights she goes to bed at 6, others it's midnight.  We need to work on this.  She seems to be unaware that she is baby #4 and does not get to set the schedule!
She has been struggling with reflux and is on prevacid right now.  That seems to be helping, but she still does a lot of gagging/choking at night when I lay her down right after feeding.  She also seems to have some lower GI pain going on and doesn't poop very often.  I am considering trying a dairy free diet to see if that helps at all, but I am dreading that.
Troy is anxiously awaiting the first social smile and thinks it's coming soon.  She rolled from her tummy to her back all by herself on Friday but hasn't done it again since then.  The boys, especially Reef, are still really enjoying their little sister.  He loves to pick out her clothes and bows and always wants to talk to her when she's awake.  Jonas is always very concerned if someone else is holding Poppy.  He makes sure to inform them that she is our baby and is NOT going home with them.  He was also the most excited when she came home from the hospital.  Lachlan gets concerned when she cries and likes to bring her toys that he thinks she will like.  He also has strong opinions about who should hold her at what times.
We've really enjoyed this first month as a family of 6 (!) but hope this next month brings more sleep and a more predictable schedule!
Here are the few pictures I snapped in the last month.  I know I'm a bad mom...
My friend Courtney took some newborn pics for us and they're all so cute.  Although Troy doesn't love those flowers...

An attempt at a group shot...
Jonas wasn't really in the mood for photos...

Her first ride in the stroller.  She loved it, I promise.
Hanging out with Reef while I tucked the others in.  He's such a good big brother!
Kisses from Lachlan.
Sleeping beauty.
My absolute favorite!

2 comments:

Sara said...

You are an amazing mom! Your boys are precious as big brothers of a tiny sister. It's so sweet. I hope Poppy settles in for you soon. That last picture is simply perfect. You are doing a great job.

Kim said...

Love the pictures! The kids are all adorable.
Those first couple of months always seem to be the hardest trying to figure things out.
With Poppy after you feed her keep her upright on your shoulder for 10 minutes or so before you lay her back down to sleep. It might help with the reflux.
It's no fun in the middle of the night, but it seemed to help Riley when she was a baby.