Monday, April 12, 2010

What a weekend!

Let me tell you, this last weekend was NOT fun. Lachlan finished his drugs for ear infection #3 on Wednesday. We were at the doc's office for Reef on Thursday (bum pain-a whole different story!), and I had him take a peak at Lach's ears to see if the infection had cleared. He said there was a little fluid but no signs of infection and to follow up in 3-4 weeks.
Well, Friday found us very fussy all day, and I chalked it up to teething most of the day...Until I took his temperature right before dinner and it was 102! Too high to be just teething! Of course, by this time, it was too late to see the pediatrician! We loaded him up with some Motrin and prayed for a good night. All was well until the drugs wore off around 3, when he woke up with another high fever and chills. Every time I got him back to sleep, he'd start shaking again and wake him up. He finally crashed again around 5. Luckily Troy was home, so I got to sleep in with Lachlan on Saturday.
His fever seemed to be under control and he was in a little bit better mood, but I decided to visit Good night Pediatrics anyway. Apparently, every other sick kid on the north side also needed to see the doctor because the place was packed! After a 2 hour wait, we were seen and diagnosed with an infection in the right ear. Ugh, I knew it! Since he'd been on so many antibiotics, the doc decided to go with a shot of Rocephin. She also asked me to come back Sunday for a re-check.
Saturday night went well, and I was actually planning on skipping the Sunday re-check and seeing our regular doctor on Monday instead...until my poor baby woke up with 102 fever again on Sunday and feeling worse than before! The nurse told me not to come until 1 or 2 (after the morning rush), so we went to church and took a nap before heading back to the clinic. After a much shorter wait, the doctor said the right ear looked a little better but now the left one was red! So, another shot of Rocephin was ordered.
We saw Dr. Gulde this morning to get his take on things. I was so thankful to get an early appointment and that Theresa let me drop Reef off early and that Melynda watched Jonas for me! After looking in both ears and declaring them both infected, Lachlan was given yet another shot of Rocephin. These shots are painful, so I feel so bad for him. Dr. Gulde took a lot of time getting all the details, and we agreed that it's time to see the ENT. I called to make the appointment, though, and first available isn't until June! I'm really praying that all these shots will clear this infection and we can get squeezed in at the ENT before he gets another one!
Praying for a good night's sleep and better day tomorrow...

3 comments:

Tara said...

Hope he feels better soon!

Kim said...

I'm so sorry you guys have had such trouble. I really hope they have a cancellation and can get you into the ENT sooner. Poor little guy.

Sara said...

You are such a good mommy! I hope all your little guys feel good for a while and you can get some rest.