Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Nicaragua Day 8: Saturday

Of course the trip wouldn't be over without a crazy, stressful trip to the airport to get home!  I woke up at 4am, unable to sleep more for fear of oversleeping.  It always happens to me.  Breakfast is just toast and cereal on this day, and we're in the van at 6 after saying goodbye to Jorge.
We are at the airport by 6:50 and our flight boards at 7:33.  This is cutting too close for my comfort!  Check-in goes super fast but the security line is sooo long.  Some of us (ahem, Deanna) worry while others (Theresa and Kristin) shop!  Her kids have t-shirts to show for her trip; mine got nothing.  As the clock ticks down, finally Kent asks someone and they pull us to the front of the line.  From there we go through security, and it's still a mad dash to the gate.  We get their after the third "final boarding call."  I'm so thankful we made it!
Deanna and I moved our seats to the front and thought we took Emily with us, but a strange man ends up between us.  Oh, well, I sleep most of the way anyway.  Customs and baggage claim and security take awhile in Houston, but it's not big deal since we had a long layover.  Lunch is at Chili's, a little taste of home!  Those french fries were good!
Again, I end up with a stranger between me and Emily but he was happy to switch.  That flight from Houston is short, and before we know it, we're home!  It is so exciting to see my people at the bottom of the escalator!  Poppy is especially thrilled to see me.  We have a nice dinner at Red Lobster before heading home to bed.
I enjoy putting Poppy to bed, something I usually view as a chore.  Tonight it was nice to hold her and rock her and be reminded of how blessed we are that she is healthy and has a nice bed to sleep in.
Troy and I look through my pictures together, and there aren't as many as I thought!  I regret not taking my nicer camera, I really miss it's image quality.  It's hard to look through them with him; he's not connected to them like I am.  He says the drilling looks really fun.  I am excited to show the boys tomorrow and see what they think and say.
It feels good to be home but a little strange, too.  All of our "stuff" seems so extravagant, and I miss the people in the village.  I wonder if I'll ever see them again and find myself daydreaming of ways to make that happen.  I am suddenly anxious for Heaven in a way I haven't been before, because I know we will be together there!

So, that's it.  My Nicaragua journey.  Coming up next: Christmas festivities!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Wow Lauren! What an experience you had. I am so happy for you that you were able to go and help those people. I'm sure you have touched their lives as much as they touched yours.
I throughly enjoyed reading about your journey. Thank you for sharing it!