Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Homeschool fall wrap up

I didn't post about homeschooling nearly as much as I thought I would last semester and took even less pictures!  I do want to do a fall wrap up post, though, so here it is! Reef and I had a long talk a few weeks ago about what he likes about school and what he doesn't.  His favorites are Spanish with Ms. Theresa (no surprise here!) and math, so I don't need to work much on those.
He likes reading and has come so far since we first started.  His confidence is way up and he attempts to read almost everything that comes home from the library!  I still don't have a set "curriculum" for this, but it's going ok.  After a 2 week trial of readingeggs.com, an online phonics program, we decided to buy it; bonus: there was a groupon!  Reef really enjoys his reading lessons on the computer; he's actually more advanced than the lesson that he's on but it's a great review and he can do it independently.  In addition to that, we've been working through several series  early readers.  We really like the Piggie and Gerald series by Mo Willems and the Greenlight Readers series.  After this week, I think Reef will graduate to the Level 2 books.  Pinterest has also been an invlauable tool for teaching reading.
For math, we are using Saxon Math 1st grade.  I don't LOVE it but will stick with it since he doesn't mind it. 
Reef says he is enjoying our Expedition Earth studies.  We made it through the Asia unit in the fall, studying China, Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Israel, and India.  We typically spend 2 weeks per country, so this curriculum may last us 2 years.  At his request, we are skipping to Australia and New Zealand at the start of our new semester. :)
I thought our Grapevine Studies Bible curriculum was going great....until I talked to Reef about it.  He actually said it's a little boring.  So, we decided that we will stretch the lessons out over more days and try to include more crafts and games with each story. 
At church, Reef's class was learning to recite the books of the Bible.  I decided to make it part of our school day, and he has earned his 2 trolls (one for each testament) in class and gets to participate in a special Club 66 presentation at church in January.
We are continuing with our weekly memory verses.
For the spring, I am hoping to add more writing, a little bit of spelling, and more art projects.  I also hope to enroll him in gymnastics.
All in all, we are definitely still loving our decision to homeschool.  It is overwhelming at times, and I am learning that I am going to have to say no to some things.  I'm sure this will especially be true next year as we add more subjects.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Great update - So cool to have such flexibility in what he's learning!

Sara said...

Good job. You are doing awesome. I'm right there with you on having to learn to say no to some things, but I wouldn't trade teaching Emily for the world.